Writing and Speaking

Many of you have asked for some sample topics that you can use to practice your writing and speaking.  Here are a lot I have collected over time. See also Opinions.

General things about me
  • My family (use family tree)
  • Jobs I have had
  • My job or the job I am planning to do
  • Things I have studied or plan to study
  • Things I like to do in my spare time
  • My hobbies
  • My best friend
  • The kinds of movies I like
  • The kinds of books I like
  • The kinds of music I like
  • Pets I have had
  • Where I live and who I live with
  • Talk about the town or city where you live.  In what way is it the same or different from Sydney? 
  • Create a life line (childhood, school, adult) with important dates and talk about it
  • Do you exercise?  How do you keep fit?
  • Does your name mean anything?  If so, what?
  • Have people ever called you by a nickname?  What was it?  What does it mean (if anything)?
  • Choose four adjectives that best describe you.

Things I really like
  • The thing I love most in life
  • What are the things that make you seriously happy?
  • My favourite movie and why
  • My favourite actress and actor and why
  • My favourite movie made in my country
  • My favourite TV show
  • My favourite restaurant and why
  • My favourite sport to watch
  • My favourite sport to play
  • My favourite singer or band
  • My favourite newspaper or magazine
  • My favourite animal and why
  • My favourite book and why
  • My favourite food
  • My favourite subject as school
  • My favourite food from my country
  • My favourite web site and why
  • My favourite shop and why
  • My favourite brand or product and why
  • My favourite possession
  • My favourite building
  • My favourite colour and why
  • My favourite web site and why
  • My favourite city (not my own)
  • My favourite article of clothing that I own
  • My favourite country (not my own)
  • My favourite place
  • My best holiday ever
  • The best three places to visit in my country and why
  • What do you like most about living in Australia?
  • The thing I like shopping for the most
  • What I find most relaxing
  • Something that makes me laugh
  • Things that make me happy
  • What I like most about Sydney
  • A beautiful place I have been to
  • A city I know well
  • Web sites I visit often
  • The three things from my country I would miss most if I emigrated
  • Things I miss most about my country
  • Things that make me smile
  • Things I am passionate about
  • My taste in clothes
  • Something I am really passionate about
  • Complete the sentence: "Happiness is... "
  • What was your favourite subject at high school?
  • What brands do you buy that you always keep buying?
Current life
  • What do you usually do when you got out at night in Sydney?
  • Where are you living at the moment?  Who do you live with?
  • What do you usually do when you got out at night in your hometown?

Special memories, people and things
  • One of my favourite memories
  • Special memories from my childhood
  • My favourite childhood memory
  • My favourite adult memory
  • A special day I remember
  • My first day in Australia
  • An important day for me
  • The most exciting thing that ever happened to me
  • A proud moment I have had
  • A memorable journey I have made
  • An exciting experience I've had
  • I time when I felt very afraid
  • The best present (gift) someone gave me
  • The thing I love most in life
  • The most precious thing I own
  • The one thing I can't do without
  • The person I admire or respect the most
  • The person in my life I am the closest to
  • My favourite place in the world
  • The person I have learned most from in life
  • Your happiest moment in the last year
  • My earliest memory
  • Who is someone you know who has lived a very interesting life?
  • Tell me about your closest group of friends at home

Future aims & plans
  • What will you do after studying at Kaplan?
  • What are your plans for your next holiday?
  • What thing that you haven't done would you most like to do?
  • What are you doing this evening?
  • What are your plans for this weekend?
  • Where in the word would you most like to visit and why?
  • What job would you love to have in the future?
  • What countries and places would you love to visit in the future?
  • What do you think you will be doing five years from now?
  • What are three things you hope to do before you die?
  • What are your short and long term goals?
  • What are you excited about in your future?
  • What are you worried about in your future?


Past experiences & memories
  • The best thing that happened to me today
  • The best thing that happened to me this week
  • The most annoying thing that happened to me this month
  • The funniest thing that happened to me this month
  • A memory I have from school
  • Something I loved learning when I was a child
  • An important event from my childhood
  • A hobby or sport I don't do anymore
  • A time I had an accident or was injured
  • A TV program I used to watch as a child
  • Something strange I have eaten
  • The best job I have had
  • The worst job I have had
  • The first CD I bought
  • The first time I earned some money and what I did with it
  • The best country I have visited
  • The most frightening movie I ever saw
  • The most memorable sporting match I ever saw
  • The best teacher I ever had and why
  • Describe a happy event from your childhood
  • Have you ever heard an amazing or extraordinary story?   Who was involved and what happened?
  • Have you ever won a competition or contest?  For what?
  • The best meal I ever had
  • The bravest thing I have ever done
  • The craziest thing I have ever done
  • The most interesting journey I have been on
  • The most romantic thing I have ever done
  • The most spontaneous thing I have ever done
  • The best thing I ever bought
  • Something I regret buying
  • The most expensive thing I ever bought
  • The worst thing I've ever eaten
  • The most interesting person I've met
  • Memories of my first date
  • What is the most embarrassing situation in which your mobile phone has rung?
  • What is the biggest risk you've ever taken?  Did it pay off?
  • What was your childhood like?  How did you spend most of your time?  Were you a good or a bad child?

In an ideal or imaginary world
  • Something I'd love to learn
  • My idea of the perfect romantic date
  • Someone I'd love to meet
  • The three most important things in a romantic partner
  • The three most important qualities in a friend
  • My idea of the perfect evening at home
  • My idea of the perfect evening out
  • What is your idea of the perfect romantic evening?
  • How would you spend your ideal day?
  • What is your idea of the perfect holiday?
  • What is your idea of the ideal party?
  • What is your idea of the ideal friend?
  • What is your idea of the ideal partner?
  • Describe your dream house
  • What would be your ideal job if you could do anything?
  • What would be the one thing you would do if you were absolutely assured it wouldn't fail?
  • If you won enough money to never need to work again, what would you do with your life?
  • If you could take a trip anywhere in the world for a month and money was not a problem, where would you go and what would you do?
  • If you had a million Australian dollars, what would you do with them (seriously) ? 
  • If you had a million Australian dollars, what would you do with them (spending just for fun) ? 
  • You win $3 million.  What will you do with it? 
  • You win $3 million?  You must spend it in one week or lose it.   How will you spend it?
  • Would you like to be famous?  Why?  Why not?
  • Would you rather be very rich or very beautiful?
  • What would be the one thing you would do if you were absolutely assured it wouldn't fail?
  • If you were forced to change your first name, what new name would you choose?
  • Which person (still alive) would you most like to meet and why?
  • Which person from history would you most like to have met and why?
  • Who would you choose to be shipwrecked on a desert island with?
  • Your house is on fire.  You can save only three things.  What are they?
  • Your house on fire.  After saving all your loved ones you have time to retrieve only one thing, what would it be?
  • If you could have dinner with a historical, who would it be and what questions would you ask them?
  • If you could represent your country in any sport, which would you choose?
  • If you could have studied something different at college, what would you choose?

My opinions and preferences
  • The best thing about learning English
  • The most difficult thing about learning English
  • What are the best and worst things about Australia for you?
  • What do you think were the most useful things you learned in school?
  • Is it better to be single or married?  Why?
  • What do you think is the greatest invention ever?  Why?
  • Do you think sportsmen are paid too much?
  • What do you think is the most important invention or innovation that has happened during your life-time?
  • What's worse... having expectations that are too high, or having no expectations at all?
  • Do you think men and woman are different?  In what way? 
  • How are men and women in Australia different from men and women in your country?
  • Has the worldwide popularity of American movies had an effect on your country's culture?  If so, how?
  • What is your favourite name for a boy?   And for a girl?   When you have children, is this what you will call them?
  • Do you prefer to play it safe or take risks?  Why?
  • Do you prefer dogs or cats?  Why?
  • Do you prefer to read a book or watch a movie?
  • Do you prefer travelling by car, plane or train?
  • Would you prefer to live in a big city or a small village?
  • Do you prefer shopping at large supermarkets or small shops?
  • Do you prefer holidays abroad or in your country?
  • Do you prefer eating at home or at a restaurant?
  • If you could choose, would you rather have a large family or a small family?  Why?

Dislikes
  • The worst job I ever had and why
  • What is one job you would hate to do?
  • My idea of the worst job I could possibly do
  • Name two things you hate and why
  • Name two things you are scared of and why
  • What are two things that annoy you?
  • What habits that other people have do you find annoying?
  • What is the worst movie you have ever seen?
  • A memory I'd like to forget
  • Things I am useless at
  • What makes you angry?
  • What kind of (movies, music, books, TV programs, sports) do you dislike
  • Something I do not like doing
  • Something I think is stupid
  • What bores you?
  • What would you dislike most in a partner?


Abilities
  • Do you have a good memory?  What sort of things do you remember?  And forget?
  • Name two things you are very good at. 
  • What do you consider your strengths?
  • Do you have any unusual skills?
  • What are two things you are an expert in?
  • What is one of your proudest moments?
  • Did you take music lessons when you were a child?  Do you still play that instrument?


Getting more personal
  • Who has had the greatest influence on your life?
  • The memory I'd most like to forget (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.)
  • My most embarrassing moment
  • When was the last time you lost your temper?  What happened?
  • What is one thing about you that many people don't know?
  • Something I'd like to change about myself
  • A time when I felt very frightened
  • A time when I felt very embarrassed
  • I time when I was very stressed
  • The thing I am most afraid of and why
  • Something that I worry about at night
  • Do you have any habits which you consider bad habits?  What are they? 
  • Have you ever given up a bad habit?  What was it?
  • If you could choose one animal that best represents you, what would it be?
  • If you could pick one possession that best represents you, what would it be?
  • If you were guaranteed honest answers to any three questions, whom would you question and what would you ask?
  • If you were to die this evening without having the opportunity to communicate with anyone, what would you regret most not having told someone?  Why haven't you told them yet?
  • If your life was a video and you could go back and edit parts out, what parts would you change? 
  • How do you know when you're in love?
  • Name two good points and two bad points about yourself.
  • Is there anyone's advice you regret having or not having taken?  
  • What are the 3 things you value most in life?
  • What are you most proud of in your life?
  • What really moves you?
  • What are your best characteristics?
  • What are your short and long term goals
  • What has been the most life-changing experience you've ever had?
  • What person from your past would you most like to see again?
  • What sort of men or woman are you attracted to?
  • What three adjectives might other people use to describe your personality?
  • What three things do you regret not learning to do?
  • What is your greatest regret in life?
  • What, if anything, is too serious to be joked about?
  • What's the thing you like most about your partner?
  • Who has had the biggest influence on your life?
  • Who is the first person you fell in love with?